Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Pine Creek Canyon--2nd Time











I've been chained to my computer the last two weeks trying to finish up my last paper at BYU so when my friend Pat called to see if I wanted to go down to Zions on Thursday night I didn't feel too bad saying "yes" even though I had another draft due on Monday. Friday afternoon I packed my bags in a matter of 15 minutes and we were on our way.



That night none us of slept too well. It was very hot. And our campsite was infested with ants; lots of them. I was laying on top of my bag trying to fall asleep but all the little ant paths being forged across my legs and arms, while one daring little ant went exploring down my shirt was keeping me awake. Finally I submitted to the sweltering inferno of my bag. Heat after all was better than creepy crawlies. I had just thrust half of my body out of my bag as a compromise when it started to rain. Surprisingly the rain felt refreshing. It cooled the air and chased the ants back into their little sandy homes. However, it is still very difficult to fall asleep in the rain. It rained twice that night and finally after the second time I was able to get some rest. When I awoke at 7:00 a.m. to the stirrings of other campers everyone laughed at my hair. It was sticking out in at least five different directions. Rain + naturally curly hair + steam rolling ants all night long = naturally bad hair day.



Our original goal was to do Mystery Canyon but all of the permits had been taken so we decided to go through Pine Creek instead. This was a blessing in disguise. Just after Pat descended the first rappel and the rest of us were about to follow, two of the girls that had come with us informed me that they had never been rappelling before. That made me feel a little bit nervous, especially cause I knew what was to come. I gave them a quick crash course guide to rappelling and thankfully we made it down without any problems and all had a really fun time. During our descent we came across a couple of spotted owls and one brightly colored yellow butterfly. The scenery was beautiful and even with all the stress of getting things together at the last minute and enduring a night with the ants, and the rain, and the heat, this trip left me feeling totally refreshed and rejuvenated.

3 comments:

val gal said...

What a beautiful trip. I like your pictures, especially the owls and the narrow canyon. I'm glad you got to experience that! Thanks for sharing..Val

val gal said...

Funny..I just posted pictures of Aspen's bedhead..She's a curly girl too!

Nate & Emily said...

I would have loved to see that hair do, you should have posted a picture! :) Looks like you guys had fun though. Hope you enjoyed the Narrows cant wait to see those pics!